Medicare → MDPP Implementation Resources
Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program (MDPP) Implementation Resources
The following webinars and resources were developed as part of technical assistance for MDPP suppliers through funding and support by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and implemented by the National Association of Chronic Disease Directors (NACDD). Some of the webinars and resources were developed in collaboration with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the American Medical Association (AMA). Webinar and resource topics include referrals and recruitment, marketing, promoting the MDPP during the public health emergency (PHE), working with Medicare Advantage (MA) plans, and billing and claims.
MDPP and State Health Departments
Successful implementation of the MDPP is a priority for state health departments (SHD). It is important for MDPP suppliers to know the roles of SHDs and learn more about how SHDs can support both suppliers and beneficiaries in their state. Please find the SHD Roles for Supporting MDPP Suppliers document, which reviews the ways in which SHDs can support the MDPP.
With support from CDC, NACDD helps increase access to and utilization of the MDPP by providing technical assistance to CDC-recognized organizations and SHDs. As part of this technical assistance, NACDD supports CDC-recognized organizations becoming Medicare suppliers, enrolling participants, and submitting claims. NACDD also supports SHD staff and national organization staff who in turn support the CDC-recognized organizations in their state. Visit the NACDD MDPP Technical Assistance Offering Page to learn more.
For those who would like an introduction to the MDPP or would like help with specific activities such as presenting the MDPP to leadership, onboarding new staff, or working with Medicare Advantage plans, below is a quick (~10 minute) video that reviews the basics of MDPP.
MDPP Webinars and Resources
CDC, CMS, AMA, NACDD, and other partners have worked collaboratively to host various informational webinars and learning opportunities geared towards promoting the MDPP. Please note that the resources below were developed for a specific technical assistance opportunity and often include titles and dates associated with that purpose; however, they can and should be used by any MDPP supplier interested in learning more about how to be successful offering the MDPP.
The table below is organized by topic and lists the webinars with accompanying resources for each category.
Billing and Claims
- MDPP Supplier Learning Series Billing Workshop Part 1 – On September 22nd, 2021, CDC, CMS, and NACDD hosted part 1 of a 2-part webinar series focused on increasing general knowledge about the MDPP billing and claims processes. Part 1 specifically looked at how MDPP enrollment and the PECOS application processes impact billing.
- MDPP Supplier Learning Series Billing Workshop Part 2 – On November 10th, 2021, CDC, CMS, and NACDD hosted part 2 of a 2-part webinar series focused on increasing general knowledge about the MDPP billing and claims processes. Part 2 specifically looked at the process for submitting a successful MDPP claim to CMS.
- MDPP Shared Learning Resource: Working with a Billing Vendor – Developed from interviews with MDPP suppliers who were also participating in the MDPP Enrollment Project (please visit the NACDD MDPP Technical Assistance Offering Page to learn more about this project), this resource shares three unique experiences in working with a billing vendor to include MDPP billing and claims technical capabilities within existing platforms.
- MDPP Barriers and Potential Solutions – Developed from presentations during an informational webinar held on December 8th, 2021, where MDPP suppliers shared learnings on how to overcome challenges encountered when implementing and sustaining the MDPP. This resource details strategies shared to overcoming barriers with billing and claims, addressing differences between MDPP and the Diabetes Prevention Recognition Program (DPRP) standards, switching between delivery modalities, addressing administrative burdens, and sustainability.
- MDPP Billing Workshop FAQ – Developed from a 2-part webinar series focused on increasing general knowledge about the MDPP billing and claims processes on September 22nd, 2021, and November 10th, 2021. This resource details attendee questions and answers from the webinar series.
- MDPP Enrollment Preparation Guide – Developed by CMS, this resource outlines the steps that organizations with preliminary or full CDC DPRP recognition status can follow to become an MDPP supplier.
- AMA Referrals Technical Assistance Informational Webinar – On February 23rd, 2021, CDC and NACDD hosted an informational webinar where AMA presented on increasing referrals into the MDPP.
- Beneficiary Recruitment and Referral Information Webinar – On October 20th, 2020, CMS, CDC, and NACDD hosted an informational webinar where various presenters shared best practices and strategies to overcoming barriers for recruitment and referral efforts.
- Preventing Diabetes in Your Medicare Population Video – The AMA Ed Hub™ created a 4-minute overview for healthcare providers that explains Medicare DPP services, beneficiary eligibility, and the benefits of referring patients to the program.
- MDPP Beneficiary Recruitment Summary – Developed from an informational webinar held on October 20th, 2020, this resource details strategies to increase recruitment into the MDPP. Various presenters shared information regarding targeted outreach campaigns, outreach to senior centers, identifying a clinical champion, and hosting an orientation or session zero. This resource was processed through CMS clearance and can also be found on the CMS MDPP page.
- MDPP Beneficiary Referrals Summary – Developed from an informational webinar held on October 20th, 2020, this resource details strategies shared by various presenters on how to increase referrals into the MDPP. Ideas include building relationships with health care providers, optimizing your electronic health record (EHR), utilizing community advisory boards and community partnerships, and conducting primary care provider (PCP) letter campaigns. This resource was processed through CMS clearance and can also be found on the CMS MDPP page.
- MDPP Referrals Breakout Sessions Summary – Developed from breakout sessions during an informational webinar held on May 18th, 2021, where MDPP suppliers discussed together how to generate referrals into the MDPP. This resource details strategies shared to overcoming barriers with patient identification, referrals, and clinical team engagement.
- Turning Referrals into Enrollment Summary – Developed from breakout sessions during an informational webinar held on October 4th, 2021, this resource details various best practices shared between MDPP suppliers for turning referrals into enrollment as well as possible solutions to barriers preventing an increase in enrollment.
- CDC Marketing Technical Assistance Informational Webinar – On January 26th, 2021, CDC and NACDD hosted a webinar where CDC presented on marketing strategies for the MDPP.
- Marketing the MDPP to Medicare Part B Beneficiaries – Find resources specific to marketing the Medicare DPP to Medicare Part beneficiaries and their health care providers from CDC.
Populations of Focus
- Scaling the MDPP with Populations of Focus Informational Webinar – On May 10, 2022, CDC, CMS, and NACDD hosted a webinar which featured presentations from two MDPP suppliers about their experiences in obtaining referrals for African American and Asian American populations as well as their efforts to provide community and culturally appropriate delivery of the MDPP.
- Scaling the MDPP with Populations of Focus Summary – Developed from an informational webinar held on May 10, 2022, this resource includes information shared by various presenters about ways to engage populations of focus, including African Americans and Asian Americans, in the MDPP.
Working with MA Plans
- MDPP and Medicare Advantage Plans Webinar – On December 15th, 2022, on behalf of NACDD, Welld Health presented a webinar focused on increasing general knowledge about MA plans and the different ways to work with them to successfully bill for MDPP services.
- Working with MA Plans Informational Webinar – On April 28th, 2021, CDC, CMS, and NACDD hosted a webinar which provided an overview of MA plans and the MDPP as well as tips for contracting with and billing MA plans, and offered ways to address challenges when working with MA plans from experienced MDPP suppliers.
- Working with MA Plans Summary – Developed from an informational webinar held on April 28th, 2021, this resource includes eight sections that detail information shared by various presenters including what MA is and how MDPP suppliers can contract and work with MA plans to increase MDPP enrollment. This resource was processed through CMS clearance and can also be found on the CMS MDPP page.
MDPP During the PHE
- Navigating Your MDPP During the PHE Informational Webinar – On January 19th, 2021, CDC, CMS, and NACDD hosted a webinar where various presenters shared approaches to offering the MDPP while navigating the PHE.
- Navigating Your MDPP During the PHE Summary – Developed from an informational webinar held on January 19th, 2021, various presenters shared how they have continued to offer the MDPP during the PHE. This resource details options for transitioning to virtual delivery, adapting to a new normal, and how to thrive not just survive during the PHE. This resource was processed through CMS clearance and can also be found on the CMS MDPP page.
Physician Fee Schedules
- 2022 Physician Fee Schedule (PFS) and MDPP Basics Webinar – On December 13th, 2021, CDC and NACDD hosted an informational webinar on the final policies for the MDPP expanded model outlined in the 2022 PFS. These changes are scheduled to begin on January 1st, 2022. This webinar also reviewed MDPP services in general and how they will be affected by the final policies outlined in the 2022 PFS.
- CMS Calendar Year MDPP Payment Rates – Updated annually, the current MDPP payment rate changes include increased rates due to inflation that are reflected throughout the 12 months of the program.
- Final Policies for the MDPP Expanded Model FAQ – This FAQ outlines the finalized changes to the MDPP expanded model issued in the 2022 PFS intended to boost supplier enrollment, with a goal of increasing beneficiary participation and access to services that can help them develop and maintain healthy behaviors to prevent onset of type 2 diabetes.
- 2022 PFS – On November 2, 2021, CMS issued the Calendar Year (CY) 2022 PFS final rule, which includes finalized changes to the MDPP expanded model on pages 961 – 990. These changes are scheduled to begin on January 1st, 2022.
- Working with MACs – Developed from presentations during an informational webinar held on January 19th, 2022, where discussions focused on the basic functions and operations of a Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) and how they work with MDPP suppliers. This resource details what a MAC is along with the services they offer, best practices for working with a MAC, and resources to utilize when working with a MAC.
- MDPP Enrollment Project Small Team TA Summary (2022) – As part of the MDPP Enrollment Project, NACDD selected four MDPP Enrollment Project supplier participants to serve as mentors and lead small group technical assistance calls, called “Small Team Technical Assistance (TA).” This summary resource describes the information that was shared during the Small Team TA meetings, provides resources and solutions discussed in relation to each barrier, and gives an overview of feedback from participants. Information is categorized by topic area.